We wish to inform you that on 2nd February 2018, the Governors of Talbot Specialist School decided that the school should consult on becoming an Academy as part of Wellspring Multi Academy Trust.
What is a Multi Academy Trust?
- A Multi Academy Trust (or “MAT”) is a collection of one or more schools which have become academies.
- MATs are inspected by Ofsted.
- The MAT receives funding directly from the government and is not part of the local authority.
- The academies within a MAT support each other and other schools.
Why is Talbot considering becoming an academy?
The Governing Body has considered the advantages and disadvantages of becoming an Academy and joining Wellspring MAT or staying as we are. There have been significant changes in the education sector: School funding has been cut and more cuts will take place in the future, changes at the local authority mean that it provides less support to schools and, the government wants all schools to become academies by 2020. The Governors believe that joining Wellspring MAT will help Talbot to continue to provide the best education possible to our students and to offer support to children with special educational needs who attend other schools.
- The consultation period will last from Thursday 1st March 2018 to Thursday 19th April 2018.
- Governors are consulting with staff, pupils, families, stakeholders and the wider community, before making a final decision.
- The consultation will include meetings, Question and Answer sessions and further information.
- A consultation meeting will be held for parents/carers at Talbot Specialist School on Wednesday 21st March 4:30 – 6:30 pm.
- Information is published on our website: www.talbotlearningcommunity.org.uk
- Any questions or comments can be sent to school marked “For the Attention of Mr C Fogg” or by email to email@example.com
Please do not hesitate to contact either myself Marion Hutchinson, Chair of Governors or Judith Smith, Headteacher, by phone 0114 250 7394, or by email firstname.lastname@example.org